Saturday, June 22, 2013

Finding the Will




Finding the will to live the gospel, serve a mission, give up an addiction, it all is based on our past experiences and our relationship with God.

My whole life I've planned on serving a mission, I just always expected it of myself. Growing up my biggest worry was how long it was. Could I really give up all of this to serve? Could I give up music? Could I give up movies, video games, my family, friends, etc.? 

As I got closer to my mission I really started preparing for the experience and I came to realize that I wasn't asking the right questions. I should be asking myself, Could I serve the Lord for two years? Could I gain the blessings that are promised to missionaries? Could I help people come closer to Christ for two full years? Those questions are a lot easier to answer, YES!

When we come closer to Christ we have a desire to serve him and change our life to come in harmony with his gospel. We read of this in the Book of Mormon in Alma 22. King Lamoni desires to serve the Lord and enter into his fold. He first says he will offer up his kingdom to know him (Verse 15) And then after a process says he will give up all of his sins to know thee. (Verse 18)

This story in the scriptures represents the point perfectly. King Lamoni didn't want to give up his sins, he didn't ask himself if he could give up his sins, he asked himself if he wanted to know Christ. Those are the questions we need to be asking ourselves. Do we want to come unto Christ? Do we want to receive the blessings that are promised to the faithful? 

Then you will find the will to change your life and come unto Christ. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment