Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Standing our Ground



We were helping a member from the ward build fence on his horse farm and I had no idea of the lesson I would learn that day!

We had a section of the fence knocked down and the horses were gathering around. The farmer affirmed us that the horses wouldn't try to get out and that we shouldn't worry.

Continuing to work, the horses continued to crowd. One of his dogs nipped at one of the horses and a horse took off through the gap.

Because one escaped, the rest needed to follow. I was shoved out of the way as a horse jumped the fence landing on the ground with a thud, and the others breaking through the gap and fence.

I was left there as my companion and the other two elders rushed out to try to coax the horses back. The farmer handed me a board and told me that if any of the horses came charging at me, to wave the board and stand my ground.

I was left, a city boy, completely out of my element, with a board, and horses eying me to see how sure I was of guarding the hole in the fence.

I wasn't so sure.

However I did have faith that what I was taught would work, and I stood there holding that board and didn't move a muscle.

Soon the horses were back and I was relieved of my duty.

In this life, the charge to live righteously and to endure to the end may be similar to a terrified city boy holding a board with a bunch of horses eying him.

All we know is that we have to stand our ground, and no matter what, use the board (Scriptures, Prayer, Church, etc.) and never lose our ground.

"I am satisfied that there is no need to stand still and let the filth and violence overwhelm us, or to run in despair. The tide, high and menacing as it is, can be turned back..." -Gordon B. Hinkley

It CAN be turned back.

So turn it back.

Never lose your ground.

And never lose your hope.

All things are possible through him.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment