Thursday, August 29, 2013

You're Not Alone



A not so long time ago, in a not so far away state...

I was in Middle School! It was an ordinary English class in which we were reading a play.

We would take turns reading as different characters and it eventually came my turn to read.

As I read the lines I came across a swear word and nonchalantly grazed over it with a humorous censor "beep" and continued on.

My teacher stopped me and pointed out that I skipped the word and that I should just take advantage of the opportunity and swear in school without getting in trouble.

There I sat, with the class's eyes on me, waiting to hear that word come out of my mouth. People knew I didn't swear, but this wasn't too bad right? it was literature... I sat trying to decide what to do, as I spoke up I found myself defending myself and trying to just get past the fact that I didn't want to say it.

However the teacher continued to try to get me to just say that one word.

What would you do at this point? Honestly ask yourself what you would do at this point. Your teacher is challenging your standards in front of the whole class in whom all are probably agreeing with him. Was one word really that bad?

Luckily I didn't have to make that decision. One of my classmates spoke up and told the teacher that I don't swear and that I'm "not that type of guy."

The teacher backed off and I continued reading with a new-found confidence in myself, my standards, and also those classmates that sat around me. That whole experience I felt as if the spotlight was on me, I had to make the decision, and I had to stand alone in front of the whole class.

However, I wasn't alone. I ask myself if my friend didn't speak up, would I have made the choice to stand alone? Because I had dare to stand alone within friendships and small confrontations, the choice in the end was much easier as my classmate stood up and defended the standards he knew I had.

As we dare to stand alone,

People will see your light and know that you "aren't that type of guy."

Always stand strong and always dare to be a beacon in this ever darkening world.

People will look to you.

They will one day appreciate that you were so willing to live your life in a way to guide others through the storm and ever darkening night unto the loving creator and Savior, in whom is the only source of true joy in this life.

In the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment