Thursday, September 5, 2013

How do you Listen?



I have felt that I never really had a big Holy Ghost prompting as an answer to my prayers.

I've had a few lego story moments that I can remember, but nothing too major that I really felt was the Holy Ghost speaking and guiding me. 

I learned an important aspect of how the Holy Ghost speaks to all of us by a simple experience, right at the beginning of my mission.

My first day on my mission we stopped at a rest stop on the way to my area, went to the bathroom, and left.

A week later we were coming back once again and I was asleep in the passenger seat. I wake up to my stomach grumbling and I see Buy one, Get one Mcwrap. I smiled as I thought of the wonderful chipotle BBQ heaven wrapped in a tortilla. I pointed it out and guided my companion to stop at that McDonalds. We soon realized it was the same rest stop we stopped at just a week earlier.

Elder Guzik, having a gluten allergy, went to the gas station side and bought a dinner there. The cashier ended up talking to him and shared his story. Elder Guzik taught him the restoration, got his information, and came back to sit at the table with us.

As nosy missionaries we quickly asked what had happened. He related that the cashier, a week earlier, had said a prayer for a sign from God. That day that he prayed, we walked in to the rest stop, and he took it as his sign. However because of our haste he was unable to talk to us. That Sunday he attended a church in his neighborhood.

He was very grateful that we returned so he had a chance to speak to us. 

I quickly recognized how the spirit had spoken to me, to bring us to be in that rest stop at that time.

Buy one, Get one, Mcwrap. 

Was it a, "go into that gas station because there is someone who needs to hear the gospel and is waiting for Elder Guzik to share the gospel with him?" No!

It was a " thought of the wonderful chipotle BBQ heaven wrapped in a tortilla."

The Holy Ghost knew me well enough to know that a great meal like that would get me in there!

Sometimes we wait for those significant promptings, but we forget that God knows us all individually. He knows what will get us when and where we can serve him the best.

Always seek for the promptings from the spirit and never sell yourself short by feeling that he doesn't speak to you.

If you are reading, praying, and attending church, you are promised to feel the power of the Holy Ghost, and if you have entered the water's of baptism, you are promised to have the Holy Ghost guiding you always.

Be humble enough to be an effective instrument in the Lord's hands.

Seek the promptings in every aspect of daily life.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment