Monday, February 3, 2014

To be a Hero...





There was an awakening when I got my mission call that I wasn't expecting.

Growing up I wanted to go to a country in Latin America on my mission!




I wanted to be fluent in Spanish and be able to talk with my Dad in Spanish!

When I opened the call and read Rochester, New York.

I was pumped!

I already had been to my mission before on vacation with my family and it had the same weather as Wisconsin.

There wasn't really anything drastically new!

As I pondered more on it I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't going to learn Spanish,

And get the opportunity to see the world from a different culture.

Then I realized I wanted to be just like my Dad was.

+

I wanted to have the experiences that he had on  his mission.

I wanted to speak Spanish like he did.

I wanted to grow up and be just like my Dad.

I realized then, at 18 years old, that I was going to become a different person.

As ridiculous as it seems I realized at that moment that,

I was going to become Me.

Up to that point I tried my hardest to do everything like he did.

Talk to people like he did.

Love people like he did.

But I wasn't going to be able to go to a Spanish speaking mission like he did.

I was going to the best mission in the world, Rochester New York, and make the decision to work my hardest for the Lord!

I'm going to become who the Lord wants me to be!

I still find myself doing things that I remember making fun of my Dad for

and I can't help but smile.

How grateful am I for an example of someone I can truly look up to.

I may not be able to become him, but I can take what I have learned and hope to be as much of a hero for my son as he is for me.

Be a hero.

And always look to the best training to be a hero that has ever been given, the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

Because that is the biggest reason why my dad is the Hero he is to me, the time he has taken to study and implement the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In the name of my Savior and hero, Jesus Christ, Amen. 
Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment