Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Things Unseen



When I was attending BYU-Idaho, I had the privilege to have my brother come out and visit me!

He came right after a snowfall so we decided to go sledding on the sand dunes (which were bigger than any hill we had in Wisconsin.)

Finding a well trodden path we jumped on the sled. I watched them go down and glanced over my shoulder to see a completely untouched side of the dune. I set my sled in the snow, pushed off, and flew down the hill.

I eventually reached the bottom and stood up calling my brother to follow me down stating how "epicly awesome" it was.

I glanced up at the hill and called for him to stop. I realized looking from the top down it was impossible to see the rock faces that jutted out of the sand creating mini cliffs. I had managed to make it to the bottom avoiding every rock face. However my brother was not as lucky!

He made it to the bottom in quite a bit more pain and looking back he realized the rock faces in which he hit nearly every one.

Yes, we can make it through this life as we hold on to the scriptures and prayer. However we can make it through our lives with a lot less pain as we listen to those whom have gone before us.

"Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long in the land."-1 Nephi 17:55

We have had role models put into our lives to follow, seek their counsel and be humble enough to follow what they council you.

They are at the bottom of the hill and can see the masked dangers. They themselves have hit the "rock-faces" on their sled ride and they know how to avoid them much better than the one sitting at the top of the hill.

Follow the counsel we are so blessed to receive

Especially the counsel received from our Savior.

In the name of our savior, counselor, and brother, Jesus Christ, Amen. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment